The caves of Frasassi are a large underground cave complex that is located in a nature park in the Italian municipality of Genga (province of Ancona). An entrance to one of the Frasassi caves was discovered by a farmer on 28 June 1948.
More entries were found in the 1950s and 1960s by members of the Italian Alpinists Club (Club Alpino Italiano) from the neighboring cities of Jesi and Fabriano. Large parts of the underground complex were discovered in the early 1970s. The total cave complex covers a distance of 13 kilometers.
From September 1974 a part of the caves was opened for visitors. A 1.5 km long route has been set out on wide footpaths and spacious staircases. These guided tours are given under the guidance of a guide in Italian, French, English or German. The caves have become a major tourist attraction of the Marche region. Since its opening, more than 10 million people have visited the caves. In addition to this route, there are also a blue and a red route for the advanced paths and with harder paths.